Monday, October 15, 2007

My evening engagements

My evening engagements!

We are all looking for love, aren’t we? Love is not just the typical warmth that exudes only from the so-called lover; it can be felt in a friendly heart-to-heart chat, a warm smile, a genuine appreciation, or simply a word of encouragement.

What inspires me to write this piece is something quite banal and routine -- my evening walk at a small oblong park close to our home. Though I keep a strict business like, no-nonsensical demeanor while assiduously trying to ward off my excess calories - habitually disposed that I am - I simply cannot ignore the behaviour and patterns of some of the park regulars.

To give you a picture, there are children, maids, retired men and thirty something housewives. Children have discovered a new rigor in cricket after India’s unexpected win at the 20-20s. The maids look busy on their cellphones and have their own social networking group. The 30-plus housewives try and make most of the time outside their homes before their husbands return. But it is the oldies, that too men, that have caught my unfailing attention.

One of them, in his late seventies, is quite fit by all standards. He is nattily dressed, looks extremely well educated and despite his years retains a lot of grace and charm. After his walk, he sits down to cool off and it is during this time that he is eagerly looking for somebody to talk to. With his charm, he invariably finds somebody. Usually, it is men of his age but on a good day he fixes one of the 30-plus ladies. And then, his day is made, out comes all the curious questions, insightful comments and charming mannerisms. He is like a man caught on a mission.

The other day I had an uncanny feeling that he was eyeing me for a harmless discussion. As I went past him, he looked at me from his shoulders perhaps contemplating the right moment to say a hello. But my unoblidging expression notwithstanding, he quickly pretended he was exercising his neck repeating the neck movement on the other side as proof. It was a hilarious moment but I somehow kept a straight face and walked off.

Another old gentleman (who I first noticed because his short is just too short despite the approaching winters) is not as discreet in choosing friends. He always acknowledges and smiles when he intersects. My response is a rather coy expression that says “yes I see you here but that still doesn’t warrant a hello”. But a die-hard enthusiast that he is, he never ceases to smile, just expecting a smile in return. I am frankly quite embarrassed but can’t help my plain expression.

Finally, yesterday when he crossed me, he mustered up the courage to say to my utter surprise - “Ek din aati ho…phir char din gayab ho jati ho….(meaning you come one day and then elope for four days),” with almost a sense of ownership. What a way he devised to break the ice! I did give him a smile this time, but didn’t stop to explain.

Both these gentlemen in the dawn of their life are not frustrated men desperate for female attention. They are simply trying to know yet another soul, exchange pleasantries, give a useful tip or suggestion and just create a good impression. They are simply trying to make their experience at the park richer and complete. Of course, having a young(er) female to talk to just adds an extra dose of zing.

Indeed, the ways may be different but we are all trying to look for love, at all the places and at all the time.

With both these gentlemen, I have so far acted like a tough cookie. I do plan to wish them “hello” and spend a little time knowing them – better!!

1 comment:

AjayS said...

Work like you don't need the money,
Sing like nobody's listening,
Dance like nobody's watching,
Love like you've never been hurt,
Live like Earth is Heaven.
- Anon